Instagram, with its vast user base and visual-centric platform, offers a golden opportunity for artists like you to reach a global audience. Whether you’re a seasoned painter, a digital artist, or someone who crafts unique art pieces, this platform can be your virtual gallery.
If you’ve never ventured into the world of Instagram or are unsure about how to optimize it for sales, you’re in the right place. This step-by-step guide on how to sell art on Instagram offers instructions on setting up, optimizing, and promoting your art on Instagram. And if you’ve already dipped your toes into the Facebook realm, we’ve got some tips to seamlessly integrate and leverage both platforms. So, grab your palette (or tablet), and let’s dive into the world of Instagram art sales!
Step 1. Setting Up Your Instagram Account
Starting your journey on Instagram is both exciting and straightforward. Let’s walk through the initial steps to get your artist profile up and running:
- Sign Up for an Account
- First things first, if you haven’t already, download the Instagram app on your smartphone or tablet. You can also visit the Instagram website on your computer.
- Begin the sign-up process using an email address or phone number that you frequently access. This will be crucial for account recovery and notifications.
- Choose a username that resonates with your artist brand. Remember, this will be your identity on the platform, so pick something memorable and relevant to your artistry.
- Convert to a Business Profile
- Now, here’s a pro tip: switch to a business profile. Why? A business profile grants you access to invaluable insights about your followers, allows you to add contact options, and lets you run promotions.
- To make the switch, head to your profile settings and look for the option to change to a business account. Follow the prompts, and you’ll be set in no time.
- Complete Your Profile
- Your profile picture is the first visual representation of you or your brand. Consider using a clear, high-quality image of yourself, a piece of your art, or your brand logo.
- Craft a compelling bio. In a few words, describe your art style, what you offer, and maybe a fun fact about yourself. This space is limited, so make every word count!
- Don’t forget to include a link. Whether it’s to your portfolio website, an online store, or a recent feature, this is the one clickable link Instagram allows in profiles, so use it wisely.
Congratulations! You’ve now laid the foundation for your Instagram art journey. As you move forward, remember that this platform is not just about selling but also about connecting, sharing, and inspiring. So, let your authenticity shine through in every post and interaction.
STEP 2: Optimizing Your Instagram for Sales
Now that you’ve set up your account, it’s time to optimize it to showcase your art in the best light and attract potential buyers.
Your art deserves to be seen in all its glory. Ensure that every piece you upload is in clear, high-resolution. When photographing your art, prioritize good lighting and a neutral background. This not only highlights the details of your work but also gives your feed a professional and cohesive look. If you’re showcasing three-dimensional art or intricate pieces, consider multiple shots from different angles to give viewers a comprehensive view.
Instagram Stories and Highlights
Stories are a fantastic way to engage with your audience in real-time. Use them to showcase behind-the-scenes content, work-in-progress shots, or even a day in your life. These 24-hour snippets can be saved permanently using the Highlights feature. Think of Highlights as curated albums on your profile. For instance, you can have a Highlight for “Sketches,” another for “Sold Pieces,” and maybe one for “Art Shows.”
Engage with Your Audience
Instagram is a social platform, and engagement is key. Whenever someone leaves a comment on your post, take a moment to reply. It could be as simple as a ‘thank you’ or answering a query about your art. Engaging not only builds a sense of community but also boosts your post’s visibility in the algorithm. Additionally, spend some time each day interacting with other artists’ content and potential customers. A genuine comment or a share can go a long way in building relationships and expanding your network.
By ensuring your Instagram is optimized, you’re not just making it aesthetically pleasing but also functional for sales. Remember, every element, from the photos you post to the stories you share, contributes to the narrative of your artistry and brand.
STEP 3: Promoting Your Art
With your Instagram account set up and optimized, the next crucial step is to promote your art effectively. This is where you actively work towards expanding your reach and attracting potential buyers.
Promotion is an ongoing process. As you continue to create and share, remember to adapt to changes, learn from your analytics, and always stay authentic to your art and brand. Your passion, combined with effective promotion, will undoubtedly resonate with art enthusiasts and potential buyers on the platform.
STEP 4: Making Sales and Building Trust
Now that you’ve caught the attention of potential buyers with your art promotion, it’s essential to ensure a smooth and trustworthy buying experience. This step focuses on the actual sales process and how to build lasting trust with your audience.
Integrate with E-commerce Platforms
Instagram has made it easier than ever for artists to sell directly through the platform. By integrating with e-commerce solutions like Shopify or Big Cartel, you can link your art products directly from your posts. This seamless integration means that a potential buyer can go from admiring your art to purchasing it in just a few taps. Ensure that your online store is user-friendly, mobile-optimized, and provides all the necessary details about each art piece.
Offer Secure Payment Options
When it comes to online sales, trust is paramount. Ensure that your integrated e-commerce platform offers secure payment gateways like PayPal, Stripe, or credit card payments. Clearly display security badges and offer a straightforward return or refund policy. The easier and safer you make the buying process, the more likely potential buyers will complete their purchase.
Share Customer Testimonials and Reviews
Word of mouth is a powerful tool, especially in the art world. Encourage your satisfied customers to leave reviews or share photos of their purchased art pieces in their spaces. By showcasing these testimonials and user-generated content, you not only build trust with potential buyers but also create a community around your art. Consider creating a dedicated section or highlighting on your profile for these reviews.
Building trust and ensuring a smooth sales process is the cornerstone of turning interested viewers into loyal customers. By prioritizing your customers’ needs and concerns, you not only increase your sales potential but also establish a reputable and trustworthy brand in the art community.
STEP 5: Leveraging Your Existing Facebook Page
If you’ve already established a presence on Facebook, you’re in a prime position to amplify your reach on Instagram. Both platforms, being part of the same family, offer seamless integration features that can be a boon for artists looking to expand their audience and sales.
- Linking Instagram and Facebook – The synergy between Instagram and Facebook can be a game-changer for artists. By linking both accounts, you can easily cross-post content, ensuring that your art reaches a broader audience. To do this, head to your Instagram settings and find the option to connect your Facebook page. Once linked, you’ll have the flexibility to share posts and stories across both platforms with a single click.
- Share Content Across Both Platforms – While both platforms have their unique user behaviors and preferences, there’s no harm in cross-promoting content. However, it’s essential to tailor your posts to each platform’s audience. For instance, while a detailed post about the inspiration behind your latest piece might resonate on Facebook, a visually-driven post with a concise caption might be more suitable for Instagram. Use Facebook to drive discussions, gather feedback, and direct traffic to your Instagram for visual showcases.
- Utilize Facebook’s Shop Feature – Facebook’s Shop feature is a robust tool for artists looking to sell their work. By integrating your Instagram products with Facebook Shop, you provide an additional platform for potential buyers to explore and purchase your art. Setting up a Facebook Shop is straightforward, and once done, you can tag products in both Facebook and Instagram posts, creating a seamless shopping experience for your audience.
By effectively leveraging your Facebook page, you’re not just doubling your promotional efforts but also creating a cohesive online presence. This unified approach ensures that regardless of where your audience discovers you, they receive a consistent and engaging experience with your art and brand.
In a world that’s increasingly digital, a well-optimized Instagram profile serves as both your gallery and your storefront. It’s a space where you can share your passion, connect with like-minded individuals, and turn your artistry into a thriving business.
However, like all digital platforms, Instagram is ever-evolving. New features, changing algorithms, and shifting user behaviors mean that there’s always something new to learn. Embrace these changes with an open mind. Continuously educate yourself, experiment with new strategies, and most importantly, stay true to your art. Your authenticity, combined with the tools and strategies outlined in this guide, will set you on a path to success.
To further assist you on your Instagram journey, here are some resources that can prove invaluable:
- Canva: A user-friendly graphic design tool perfect for creating engaging Instagram posts and stories.
- Later: A scheduling tool that allows you to plan and automate your Instagram posts.
- VSCO: A photo-editing app to enhance and fine-tune your art photographs.
- Insight Timer: A platform offering mindfulness and meditation sessions, essential for every artist’s well-being.
Armed with this guide and these resources, you’re well-equipped to navigate the vibrant world of Instagram art sales. Remember, every artist’s journey is unique, so chart your own path, celebrate your successes, and continue creating.